Fall time is the ideal time to check off “To-do” items like getting your flu shot and checking your fire alarms. Generations can help with this and more in our October newsletter! Click here to read it now. A small taste of what’s inside:
Flu Season : Help Your Kids Get Past the Flu Shot
Flu season is approaching and that means it’s time for both children AND adults to get a flu shot. And this year, it will be a shot — even for children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended against the use of FluMist, the nasal spray version of the flu vaccine, because studies have shown it is not effective.
Shots are often a scary thing for kids, especially since they get so many of them while they are young. Here are some tips for getting through the shot:
- Don’t lie. If your child asks, don’t tell them they aren’t getting a shot or that it won’t hurt. This could ruin their trust in you. Explain that shots protect them and it will hurt, but only for a few seconds.
- Don’t overhype. If your child doesn’t ask in advance, don’t talk about the shot all week. It may make him anxious and build the incident up in his mind.
- Distract. Check with your doctor about applying an anesthetic cream before the shot. During the shot, hold your child’s hand, make funny faces, or do whatever you can to help him or her get through it.
- Comfort. Provide hugs and a comfortable lap to sit in after the shot is done while your child calms theirself. Some doctors don’t recommend pain relievers afterward, but some do, so check with your doctor about using Motrin or Tylenol.
About Our Flu Vaccines
- At Generations Family Practice, we have flu vaccine available for ages six months and older.
- Fluzone is available for children ages 6 month to 35 months of age.
- Flucelvax Quad is available for ages 4 years and older. Flucelvax is the first FDA-approved flu vaccine made from cells instead of chicken eggs. It is also antibiotic free, preservative-free and latex-free. This vaccine offers the same protection as the traditional egg-based flu dose.
- For ages 65 and up, we provide a high-dose flu vaccine.
Patients are welcome to walk in for their flu shot as a nurse visit Monday through Saturday during regular business hours. We can also administer the vaccine during a scheduled office visit. For more information, give us a call at 919-852-3999.